“English, Scottish, Irish, French, Dutch, German, Czech, Slovak, Spanish (Martín), Italian (Venice), etc.: from a personal name (Latin Martinus, a derivative of Mars, genitive Martis, the Roman god of fertility and war, whose name may derive ultimately from a root mar ‘gleam’). This was borne by a famous 4th-century saint, Martin of Tours, and consequently became extremely popular throughout Europe in the Middle Ages. As a North American surname, this form has absorbed many cognates from other European forms.English: habitational name from any of several places so called, principally in Hampshire, Lincolnshire, and Worcestershire, named in Old English as ‘settlement by a lake’ (from mere or mær ‘pool’, ‘lake’ + tun ‘settlement’) or as ‘settlement by a boundary’ (from (ge)mære ‘boundary’ + tun ‘settlement’). The place name has been charged from Marton under the influence of the personal name Martin.” Ancestry.co.uk
Martin is an easy name to research around Monmouthshire, where the Martin’s I am most interested in can be found.
The first Martin I have found in our direct line married and died in Shirenewton, Monmouthshire. It is a fairly widespread name within the UK. The period covering 1881-1901 the highest incidence of the Martin surname was found in Middlesex (8,195 – frequency of 1:356), compared to Monmouthshire (294 – frequency of 1:721). forebears.co.uk
Richard Martin 1762-1821
- Richard was born around 1762.
- He married Martha Jones on 30th December 1795 in St Thomas a Beckett, Shirenewton, Monmouthshire.
- Richard and Sarah had at least 6 children: Hannah, James, Charles, Ann, Elizabeth and John.
- Richard was buried in Shirenewton on 7th December 1821.
James Martin 1799-1861
- James was baptized in Shirenewton on 9th June 1799.
- He married Elizabeth Roberts on 7th February 1825 in Shirenewton.
- James and Elizabeth had at least 4 children: Ellen, Charles, Adelaide and James.
- James was buried on 17th March 1861 in Shirenewton.
Charles Martin 1834-1904
- Charles was baptized in Shirenewton on 23rd November 1834.
- He married Rebecca Jones during the 3rd quarter of 1873 in Chepstow Registration District.
- Charles and Rebecca had at least 2 children: Mary Elizabeth and Richard Martin.
- Charles was buried on 8th January 1904 in Shirenewton, Monmouthshire.
Richard Martin 1876-1918
- Richard was born around February 1876 and baptized on 26th August 1877 in Shirenewton.
- He married Lavinia Constance Scrivens during the 2nd quarter of 1907 in Chepstow Registration District.
- Richard and Lavinia had at least 5 children: Charles, Richard, Cyril Ronald Edward, Gladys N W and Agnes.
- Richard was buried in Shirenewton on 11th December 1918.
For more information please visit the Martin Family Tree.