“BOULTER. One who sifts meal— an occupation formerly distinct from that of the miller. See Richardson and Halliwell.” BritishSurnames.co.uk
Boulter should, theoretically, prove to be one of the easiest names to research in my family tree. It’s incidence is approximately 50 in 1,000,000 today… In 1881 it’s incidence was 32 in Wales. However, the variations and errors in transcriptions (Bolton, Bolter, Boulton) mean that this probably is misrepresented. My task of researching the Boulter family in my tree is so much more difficult with my ancestors insistence at changing their family name (it can vary between Boulter, Waters and Walters).
- Richard and an unknown spouse had at least 2 children: William and Thomas
Thomas Boulter 1822-1884
- Thomas was born sometime around 1822 in either Buallt, Radnorshire or Newbridge-on-Wye, Radnorshire.
- He married Mary Daniel on 3rd March 1851 in Tredegar, Monmouthshire.
- Thomas and Mary had at least 9 children: William, Emma, Jacob, Thomas, Hannah, Sarah, Mary Ann, Joseph and Sophia.
- Thomas’ death was registered in the 4th quarter of 1884 in Bedwellty Registration District.
Jacob Boulter 1860-1929
- Jacob was born on 24th January 1860 in Victoria, Monmouthshire.
- He married Hannah Lewis on 13th December 1879 in Bedwellty, Monmouthshire.
- Jacob and Hannah had at least 3 children: William Thomas, Mary Ann and Florrie.
- Hannah died in 1896.
- Joseph married Mary Ann Caple in the 3rd quarter of 1897 in Bedwellty Registration District.
- Joseph and Mary Ann had at least 7 children: Florence May, Thomas, Harold, Mary Jane, Eliza A., Bertie and one unknown.
- Jacob’s death was registered in the 3rd quarter of 1929 in Bedwellty Registration District.
Mary Ann Boulter 1883-1921
- Mary Ann was born on 11th November 1883 in Newtown, Monmouthshire.
- She married David Gibbs during the 4th quarter of 1904 in Bedwellty Registration District.
- Mary Ann and David had at least 8 children: David John, William Thomas, Martha Ann, Hannah Jane, Violet Mary, Phyllis E, Esther and Maud.
- Mary Ann’s death was registered in the 2nd quarter of 1921 in Bedwellty Registration District.
For more information please visit the Boulter Family Tree.