“This surname is derived from the name of an ancestor. ‘the son of Osbern,’ a favourite personal name in the hereditary surname period. It is scarcely ever used now at the font, but flourishes strongly as a surname.” Forebears
Osborn, or Osborne as it is frequently written, is a surname that I have yet to follow after the middle of the 18th century. It’s most definitely on my ‘to-do list’ though.
For the purpose of this I will use the Osborn variant. The first Osborn I have recorded in my tree is George, born sometime before 1675. He married and lived in Stoke Goldington, Buckinghamshire, but later generations lived in Northamptonshire.
In 1881, there were just 215 people who bore the Osborn(e) surname in Buckinghamshire; whereas in Northamptonshire there were 555.
- George was born before 1675.
- He married Elizabeth WARREN, the daughter of Francis WARREN and Joane HOW, on 16 Apr 1691 in Stoke Goldington, Buckinghamshire.
- George and Elizabeth had at least 7 children: Francis (c.1693), Elizabeth (c.1696), William (c.1699), George (c.1702), Thomas (c.1704), Warren (c.1708) and John (c.1712).
- George’s date of death and burial is not known yet.
- George was the beneficiary of the will of Elizabeth’s father, Francis WARREN on 24 Apr 1706.
George Osborn (1702-1777)
- George was born on 9th May 1702 and baptized on 31 May 1702 in Stoke Goldington, Buckinghamshire.
- He gained settlement in Towcester, Northamptonshire on 9 Sep 1726.
- He married Joyce COOKE, the daughter of John COOKE and Elizabeth BROWN, on 29 May 1729 in Northampton, Northamptonshire.
- George and Joyce had at least 6 children: John (c.1730), Elizabeth (c.1732), Ann (c. 1733), George (c.1735), John (c. 1736) and Joyce (c.1741).
- George was buried in Towcester, Northamptonshire on 14 Nov 1777.
Ann Osborn (1733-1813)
- Ann was baptized on 30 Nov 1733 in Towcester, Northamptonshire.
- She married Thomas KINGSTON, the son of Joseph KINGSTON and Mary WEST, on 30 Oct 1758 in Towcester, Northamptonshire.
- Ann and Thomas had at least 10 children: Mary (c.1759), Sarah (c.1761), Ann (c.1762), Jane (c.1764), Thomas (c.1765), Joseph (c.1766), Joseph (c.1767), John (c.1769), George (c.1771) and Benjamin (c.1773).
- Ann was buried on 7 Apr 1813 in Towcester, Northamptonshire.
Relationship to me
- George OSBORN is the father of
- George OSBORN, who is the father of
- Ann OSBORN, who is the mother of
- Jane KINGSTON, who is the mother of
- Thomas Kingston BEVIS, who is the father of
- George BEVIS, who is the father of
- Jane Kingston BEVIS, who is the mother of
- Selina HAYNES, who is the mother of
- Maude BRUCE, who is the father of
- Ivor EVANS, who is the father of
- Living EVANS, who is the father of