“A very common name in Scotland, of more than one origin. (1) Brun is a common personal name in Old English charters, e.g. Brun, c. 970, Brun bydel (‘beadle’), c. 1000 (Kemble, Codex Diplomaticus, 981, 1353), etc. The name is from an old adjective meaning ‘brown dark red,’ Old English and OHG.” Forebears
There are a few different Brown families in my tree. This branch is from Northamptonshire that I know of.
In 1881 there were 2111 Brown’s listed on the census in Northamptonshire (this does not take into consideration any other spellings). The highest incidence was in Middlesex with 19,142 recorded. These days there are around 2,391,310 people with the surname in the World and it is the 202nd most common surname in the world.
- Thomas was born before 1612.
- He married Margaret.
- Thomas and Margaret had at least 4 children: Elizabeth (c.1632), Thomas (c.1633), John (c.1635) and William (c.1639).
John Brown (1635)
- John was baptized on 13 Dec 1635 in Paulerspury, Northamtponshire.
- He married Joyce BOND (or WARD) on 29 Aug 1667 in Northampton, Northamptonshire.
- John and Joyce had at least 4 children: Elizabeth (c.1668), Margaret (c.1669), Thomas (c.1672) and John (c.1675).
Elizabeth Brown (1668-1756)
- Elizabeth was baptized on 1 Jul 1668 in Paulerspury, Northamptonshire
- She married John COOKE on 1 Jul 1686 at Alderton, Northamptonshire
- John and Elizabeth had at least 12 children: Elizabeth (c.1687), John (c.1689), William (c.1691), Ann (c.1693), Thomas (c.1696), Joyce (c.1699), Robert (c.1701), Samuel (c.1703), Mary (c.1705), Barbara (c.1708), Thomas (c.1711), George (c.1714).
- Elizabeth may have been buried on 29 Apr 1756 in Paulerspury, Northamptonshire.
Relationship to me
- Thomas BROWN is the father of
- John BROWN, who is the father of
- Elizabeth BROWN, who is the mother of
- Joyce COOKE, who is the mother of
- Ann OSBORN, who is the mother of
- Jane KINGSTON, who is the mother of
- Thomas Kingston BEVIS, who is the father of
- George BEVIS, who is the father of
- Jane Kingston BEVIS, who is the mother of
- Selina HAYNES, who is the mother of
- Maude BRUCE, who is the mother of
- Ivor EVANS, who is the father of
- Living EVANS, who is the father of