“This surname, so celebrated in the history of Scotland, is of territorial origin, from the Chateau d’Adam at Brix, between Cherbourg and Valognes, Normandy. The ruins of the extensive fortress built in the eleventh century by Adam de Brus and called after him Chateau d’Adam yet remain.” Forebears
The Bruce family have always been the family to light the fires in my imagination, ever since I started the journey into discovering my family’s roots. From stories of Maude being disowned by her family for marrying a Welshman to visiting (Welsh) family members being entertained on the front lawn, my curiosity piqued. There are even whispers circulating that indicate our Bruce’s did indeed come from Scotland, but I am nowhere near proving that at the moment.
William Bruce (?-1811)
- William was born some time before 1765.
- He married Rosamund GARDINER (1758-1799) on 22 Sep 1785 in St Mary, Easton Neston, Northamptonshire.
- William and Rosamund had at least 6 children: John (c.1786), Robert (c.1787), Joseph (c.1789), William (c.1792), William (c.1798) and Jane (c.1799).
- William married Mary CROSS (1751-1818) on 2 Sep 1800 in St Mary, Easton Neston, Northamptonshire.
- William and Mary had no known children.
- William was buried on 26 Apr 1811 in Easton Neston, Northamptonshire.
- William did have a will, the details of which I am waiting on.
Robert Bruce (1787-1865)
- Robert was baptised on 28 Oct 1787 in St Mary’s, Easton Neston, Northamptonshire.
- He married Frances PENN (1783-1821) on 5 Jun 1810 in Roade, Northamptonshire.
- Robert and Frances had at least five children: Mary (c.1810), William (c.1812), Charlotte (c.1814), James (c.1817) and Joseph (c.1819).
- Robert married Jane NEWTON (1782-1830) on 5 May 1823 in St Mary’s, Easton Neston, Northamptonshire.
- Robert was buried on 1 Aug 1865 in Easton Neston, Northamptonshire.
James Bruce (1817-1895)
- James was baptised on 5 Jan 1817 in St Mary’s, Easton Neston, Northamptonshire.
- He married Elizabeth REDLEY (1822-1897) on 13 Jun 1842 in Great Brington, Northamptonshire.
- James and Elizabeth had at least 10 children: Frances (c.1843), Martha Redley (c.1845), Sarah (c.1848), Robert (c.1850), Rosannah (c.1852), Rebecca (c.1854), Elizabeth (c.1856), Mary Charlotte (c.1858), George (c.1861) and Joseph (c.1862).
- He was buried on 7 Sep 1895 in Easton Neston, Northamptonshire.
Joseph Bruce (1862-1911)
- Joseph was baptised on 7 Dec 1862 in St Mary’s, Easton Neston, Northamptonshire.
- He married Selina HAYNES (1868-1967) on 27 Oct 1886 in Easton Neston.
- Joseph and Selina had at least 10 children: James, Jane Elizabeth, Rosa (1887), Rebecca (c.1889), Joseph (c.1890), Sarah (c.1892), Maude (c.1894), Frances Mabel (c.1900), Phyllis (c.1904) and Lizzie Mary (c.1908).
- Joseph died on 19 Jan 1911 in Wood Burcote and buried in Towcester cemetery on 21 Jan 1911.
Maude Bruce (1894-1985)
- Maude was born on 23 Nov 1894 in Hulcote, Northamptonshire.
- She was baptised on 15 Sep 1895 in St Mary’s, Easton Neston.
- She married Edward EVANS (1893-1940) on 30 Oct 1915 in Bedford, Bedfordshire.
- Maude and Edward had 7 children: Edward (c.1917), Ivor (1919), Irene (1921), Phyllis (1923), Sidney (1926), Grace (1930) and Living (1933).
- She died in Dec 1985 in Oakdale, Monmouthshire.
Relationship to me
- William BRUCE is the father of
- Robert BRUCE, who is the father of
- James BRUCE, who is the father of
- Joseph BRUCE, who is the father of
- Maude BRUCE, who is the mother of
- Ivor EVANS, who is the father of
- Living EVANS, who is the father of