“This surname is derived from the name of an ancestor. ‘the son of Louis’ or ‘Lewis’ (for the history of this personal name read an interesting account in Yonge, ii. 387-9). Miss Yonge thinks Lewis is used by the Welsh as an Anglicanism of Llewelyn.” Forebears
I have several Lewis families in my tree. I haven’t found a connection between them as of yet but there is always a chance.
The Lewis family I’m concentrating on in this surname profile is from Breconshire and Monmouthshire.
In 1881 Lewis was the 6th most common name in Monmouthshire and the 8th most common name in Breconshire. With this in mind, it is incredibly hard to attribute the right children to the right parents.
David Lewis (1800-)
- David was born around 1800 in Tal-Y-Llyn, Breconshire.
- He married Hannah HARRIS on 5th November 1825 in Bedwellty, Monmouthshire.
- David and Hannah had at least 10 children: William (c.1829), Henry (c.1831), Ann (c.1833), Dorothy (c.1835), Thomas (c.1838), Edward (c.1840), Mary (c.1845), Hannah (c.1847), David (c.1849) and Joseph (c.1852).
- David died before 1871, presumably in Ebbw Vale, Monmouthshire.
William Lewis (1829-1880)
- William was born in 1829 in Trevethin, Monmouthshire.
- He married Margaret REES on 13th August 1853 in Aberystruth, Monmouthshire.
- William and Margaret had one child: Ann (c.1857).
- William married Ann WILLIAMS on 10th February 1862 in Brynmawr, Breconshire.
- William and Ann had one child: Hannah (1862).
- William died in the first quarter of 1880 in Bedwellty, Monmouthshire.
Hannah Lewis (1862-1896)
- Hannah was born on 27th December 1862 in Ebbw Vale, Monmouthshire.
- She married Jacob BOULTER on 13th December 1879 in Bedwellty, Monmouthshire.
- Hannah and Jacob had at least three children: William Thomas (c.1881), Mary Ann (1883) and Florrie (c.1887).
- Hannah died in the 3rd quarter of 1896 in Bedwellty, Monmouthshire.
Relationship to me:
- David LEWIS was the father of
- William LEWIS, who was the father of
- Hannah LEWIS, who was the mother of
- Mary Ann BOULTER, who was the mother of
- Martha Ann GIBBS, who was the mother of
- Living WILLIAMS, who was the mother of
- Living TRANTER, who is the mother of